Japanese-On

Monday, September 6, 2010

Pics, pics and more pics



Picture time! I wanted to post some pics so you can see where we've been and what we've been up to. This past Saturday a group of us headed to Dazaifu flea market to shop and visit Kyushu National Museum. I think we may have gone on the hottest day experienced so far. (I could be lying but it was excruciating!) Little shopping was done since playing in the museum was much more enjoyable. (they had a/c)







click for more pics:



If it weren't for Nana and Justin, the pictures below would not be possible. Thanks to them, we were able to gather at school to watch Saturday night football live on Sunday morning! It was awesome! There's also a Fantasy Football league that's been created among the teachers and spouses so there was a "live draft" (I mean paper and pencil draft) during the game. (you can see the seriousness on their faces as they made their picks) Clearly, I'm not so serious.











Matt here-
How appropriate that for my very first addendum to our blog I choose to step in with the topic of Japanese beer. Now, I rarely pass the opportunity to enjoy a frothy glass of Whistling pig back in Norwich or a Bell's Oberon in Michigan. And since we've arrived here in Japan we've pretty much been drinking two kinds of beer because that's all you can find in stores. The first is a simple light ale (Saporro, Asahi, Kirin) costing up to 1430 yen for a six pack. And with today's currency conversion that comes to $16.96 per 6-pack! The second kind of beer is a malt beer that is sold at a much lower cost and you get what you pay for.
So roughly six weeks into our life/trip of the Japanese experience we headed downtown Fukuoka for a publicized beer fest. A group of 7 of us took the subway downtown to the terrace level of the eeny meeny miny mo(real name) building in Tenjin. There were at least a dozen or so different breweries that brought in a selection of their best brews. And finally after a month of same ol' same ol' beer I felt like I stepped back into the Norwich Inn or the Barley House in Adrian! The beer was not good, it was great! There was anything from an English smoked ale, IPA, stouts, fruity beers, Ales and others. Basically we were handed a small glass when we walked in, moved from table to table and enjoyed beer from 11am until 4pm. Ash's favorite beer ended up being a fresh pulled stout at 9% alcohol and she is not usually a beer drinker. Go figure!?! Mine was an IPA by Minoh Beer Company (minoh-beer.jp) located up in Osaka, Japan. Well enjoy the pics of our delicious day. Kompai!







click on pic below to enjoy more...

1 comment:

  1. I think that's awesome that you guys got to go to a Japanese beer fest! I got to try many bars in Hiroshima, but they didn't have locally brewed options! Have fun and Kento-o-inorimasu!

    ReplyDelete