Japanese-On

Wednesday, August 18, 2010



This blog is looooong overdue. I thought if I waited long enough Matt would actually contribute to OUR blog but clearly this is a "trailing spouse" job. (I wonder if he even reads these...)

One thing before I talk about Japan since I know that's why you came here - can I tell you why skype rocks?!?! I'm gonna tell you anyway - I get to talk to my 21 month old niece (who only likes to talk to me when I hang over our balcony so she can see the buses), my Aunt who is in her 80's, Matt's grandmother that's in her 90's and all the ages in between!! (I promise, I won't name all of you and your ages) :)

A HUGE hug and kiss to Skype. Thanks for keeping us all connected.

Oh, and Omaha - skype better be working by the time Thanksgiving rolls around. I'm not toasting to the dead alone in Japan!

Time has been flying since we landed on the island of Kyushu and so many great things have happened... I won the blog contest against my sister Nicole (I recommend checking out her blog to see MY victory - http://momwifeceo.blogspot.com/), we learned that Amy & Dan Senese (my sister's neighbors) just welcomed a beautiful little girl Lila to their family and we've met and explored with so many new friends!

Seriously, how much more excitement can one take?

Ok, Japan - I'll get on with it.

Sometimes I find myself blabbing about nonsense. I need to remind myself that this should not be a journal. If it was, I wouldn't have named it Japanese-ON nor emailed my 2 sisters the link since my journal would have a lock and key and they would be nowhere near either of them! Or maybe this is a journal... Is there a distinct difference between a blog and a journal? I'm guessing a journal is meant to be more personal and kept private. Clearly, this is not private but anyway, I digress...

We should get caught up. Since I last posted, our days have been filled with eating, visiting the Fukuoka Museum, laundry (you know what that means), more eating, exploring the library, setting up Matt's classroom, sharing exquisite meals and laughs with friends (a.k.a. eating) and wandering around Fukuoka.


Dinner at ???? I can't read the sign but I will say this - we invited Kumi, from the school, to join us for dinner and when we arrived at the door she said "this is where we're eating, is everyone ok with this?" Our reply (with concerned looks) yes, we ate here before and it was awesome. Why? "This is the guts place" she said. HUH?!?!?! I'm much better off not knowing what I'm eating until after it's already in my tummy AND digested. That way I get to eat (and keep it down). Regardless, we still walked in, took off our shoes, threw them in a locker and proceeded to our table. There were about 10 of us of at dinner that night and we all enjoyed the feast.



click for more pics of dinner...


I also want to share the view that Matt looks at each time he walks into his classroom.



If you can take your eyes off the water, the Atago Shrine and mountains linger in the background.



Everything is miniature here! (except the pen - that's to put it into perspective)







This mornings feast...



Now, if I can just find capers and toasted pita I'm all set!

Sayonara. Enjoy your Sunday in Fukuoka and Saturday night in the States!!

1 comment:

  1. Dad would love some of that fish - I guess that's what it was. I miss you guys and would love to talk. It's been a few days. Time has not been in our favor.
    The Bond's are here and we are going out to dinner. I will know how to read the menu though!!
    Love hearing your stories. Ash - great job.
    Love you both!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete